Many rumors were surrounding the number of subscribers who were going to cancel their HBO subscriptions once Game of Thrones ended.
The figures are not as bad as expected, and there are plenty of reasons to hang on to your HBO subscription.
The Game of Thrones HBO schedule may have ended, but there is much more to replace it from classic HBO shows such as Sex and the City, or to the Newer shows such as Avenue 5 with Hugh Laurie.
Here, we will look at what is on offer, and why it is worth sticking with the network, and what to watch, HBO isn’t going anywhere, and neither should you.
Here are 5 reasons not to cancel.
1. Top Movies
HBO is home to some of the best movies you can watch. Here are a handful of newest movies on HBO that
have their theatrical premiers to stream.
- John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum. Starring Keanu Reeves as the assassin with a price on his head. Out and out action.
- American Animals: The tale of four individuals who mistake their lives for a movie and try to carry out one of the most famous heists in the history of the USA.
- Tolkien: This tells the story of J.R.R Tolkien form Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit fame. Without him, there wouldn’t be any GOT.
- Godzilla, The King of Monsters: No monster is ever more prominent than the crowd favorite Godzilla.
2. Best HBO Movies
There are classics coming to HBO, and the list is vast. Right at the start of the year, there is plenty to go through. Here are some of the best movies to watch on HBO.
- Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection – be afraid, be very afraid.
- Arthur and Arthur 2: On the Rocks – Dudley Moore at his very best.
- The Hitcher – Rutger Hauer at his most chilling.
- Mrs. Doubtfire – A classic Robin Williams movie.
- Shutter Island – A Leonardo Di Capri classic
- Stakeout and Another Stakeout: Richard Dreyfuss has never been funnier.
While there is an endless list of movies, binge-watching is where all the action is these days. Here is a breakdown of new and recurring shows you can enjoy on HBO.
3. Show Premiers on HBO
Here is a glance at some of the upcoming and best new HBO shows you can watch.
- The Outsider: A chilling tale from the master of horror Stephen King. A young boy is murdered, and the suspect may be innocent after all.
- Perry Mason: An old classic with a new telling, although still based in 1930s Los Angeles.
- The Undoing: Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant in a tale of marital bliss gone wrong.
- The New Pope: John Malkovich and Jude Law take on religious roles. Watch out for surprise guests.
There are countless others on offer, but these are just some of the standout offerings.
4. Recurring HBO Shows
GOT overshadowed lots of great TV on HBO and other networks. Now it has ended, it may be time to go back and see what great HBO top shows you missed, as you were deep in Westeros.
- Veep: A long-running show telling the story of Senator Selina Meyer portrayed by Julia Louis Dreyfus. Being Vice President of the USA was nothing she expected.
- The Deuce: A gritty re-telling of life in New York City in the ’70s and ’80s. Prostitution and porn was all the rage, and it was a golden era for gay men: Starring award-winning actor James Franco and stunning Maggie Gyllenhaal.
- Barry: A mild-mannered hitman from the Midwest played by Bill Hader. The bright lights and the art scene of downtown LA strike him.
- The Righteous Gemstones: Starring John Goodman and Danny McBride, this comic tale of a televangelist family and their hidden tradition of charity work, greed and deviance.
- Big Little Lies: Upper-class mothers lead perfect lives, or do they? Murder mystery at its best.
- Silicon Valley: The ongoing comedy about Richard Hendricks, a Silicon Valley engineer trying to get his own company off the ground.
5. Best Shows on HBO
While there is still no sign of the Issa Rae sci-fi show, she piloted back in 2017. There is still hope. However, until then, here are the best HBO shows you can watch, or be very excited about coming to the network.
- Curb Your Enthusiasm: One of the best comedy series written. It tells of the life and times of Larry David. We follow all the nasty predicaments he ends up in with either friends or total strangers. From Seinfeld and Saturday Night Live fame, this show shouldn’t be missed.
- High Maintenance: Starring Ben Sinclair explores the private lives of some individuals in New York. There is a common tie between these, and it comes down to their local weed deliveryman.
- Westworld: If there was ever a series to replace GOT, then Westworld is right at the front of the line. This classic show takes every viewer to a place where everything is imaginable. A world without limits, where it is possible to indulge every fantasy, no matter how horrific or how seductive and alluring.
The cast of Westworld is some of the very best, such as Thandie Newton, Ed Harris, Anthony Hopkins, Evan Rachel Wood, and newcomer Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad fame.
Just from the overview of classic shows, movies to the latest and greatest season openers. It is easy to see why it isn’t worth canceling an HBO subscription.
There is a range of depth and quality rarely found on other networks, so sit back and enjoy everything HBO has to offer.