On July 6th, the world’s most famous road cycling race, the Tour de France blazes its way from Brussels to the thrilling finale` in the Paris Champs-`Elysées.
This year’s tour starts in Brussels, which is the first time since 1958.
All through the twenty one stages until July 28th, there are numerous tests of the riders abilities, but this year, things among the front runners is very different.
Due to injury or withdrawals, this year’s TDF event is missing four-time winner. Chris Froome who is part of Team Ineos, and the runner up from 2018 who is part of Team Sunweb, Tom Dumoulin will also be absent.
Last year’s victor Geraint Thomas will have unfamiliar faces around him for a repeat success. However, there will be Vincenzo Nibali, Rigoberto Uran and Nairo Quintana all fighting to carry the yellow jersey in the final stages.
For cycling fans around the globe, the question is how to watch Tour de France 2019 online. The rest of this guide shows how to watch TDF from any country.
How to Stream Tour de France 2019 Free Online with a VPN
There are a few services, which will stream Tour de France, however, these may be geo-restricted, or they come with services that are tied to TV service providers.
The best ways to watch Tour de France live are to access the services, which are free.
A VPN is recommended to do this, as they can bypass any geo-restrictions, which are in place. You can then easily select the best service that delivers live coverage.
Before looking how to access Tour de France streams, here are the top VPN’s that enable you to do this.
ExpressVPN the best for online streaming
- Head to the ExpressVPN website: Sign up with the easy 3-step process. This VPN delivers the fastest streaming speeds with servers in 94 countries. It delivers more than enough speed for a Tour de France live stream without buffering.
- Download and install ExpressVPN app: There is more device support from this VPN than any other. You can watch live from your home or on a mobile device. This VPN runs on Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, and Linux. It can be configured to run on routers, game consoles, Smart TV’s and more. It offers 5 simultaneous device connections.
- Change server to country of choice: With military-grade encryption, you can bypass any geo-restrictions and access streaming services to watch the Tour de France with unlimited bandwidth and zero logging.
NordVPN high levels of security
- Start your account with NordVPN – You get high levels of security from NordVPN. It has servers in 60 countries. Geo-restrictions are easily passed and it offers a 30-day money back guarantee. It also offers 6 device connections
- Install the client app: Device support is high, and most of the common devices are supported. It allows device setup on some devices, which there is no client app.
- Choose a country: This VPN allows you to change country to pass restrictions for streaming. It offers decent support so you can access the Tour de France online quite easily.
CyberGhost a close third
- Navigate to CyberGhost’s website: Complete the sign up process. You have a 45-day refund window if you don’t like the service. CyberGhost is great for new users, and offers good protection and ample speeds to watch every Tour de France stage.
- Install the CyberGhost app: The majority of devices are supported such as Windows, Mac devices, Android and iOS and FireStick and TV. Other devices can be configured.
- Decide which country you will stream from: The simple interface makes streaming a one-click affair if the service is in their list. It delivers decent cross border access with bypassing geo-restrictions. You should be able to get Tour de France live coverage.
Surfshark a good newcomer
- Start the sign up procedure: Take a trip to the Surfshark website and complete their signing up procedure. It has a small network, but with above average speeds. You have a one-month refund and it is easy to use.
- Get installing the apps: There are unlimited devices you can connect. These include Windows, Android, iOS, and MacOS among others. It makes it easy to watch sport with a VPN like the TDF.
- Select your streaming destination: With only 50 countries supported, you should be able to start watching the TDF when you want.
Where Can I watch Tour de France Online?
Depending on the country you are in, they all have their own ways of showing coverage of the Tour de France.
However, unlike other sport articles, the best way is through ITV4 in the UK or through the ITV Hub where they are streaming live action.
They are showing highlights through the ITV Hub of every part of the event every night. Here are the guidelines how you can access the free ITV Hub from any country.
The Tour de France is taking place between July 6 and July 28th. To watch streams in English:
- Sign up for a good VPN service – we recommend the use of ExpressVPN for UK sports streaming.
- Receive your confirmation email and follow the link to download the VPN apps. Install on your devices.
- Once installed, change the country and connect to a VPN server in the UK.
- Head to the ITV website and create your account. The details to be filled in are simple, but you will need a UK postcode. (e.g. W2 4DJ, or WC1X 0AA. You can find one on the internet if needed.)
- Click register and confirm your email.
- That’s all there is to it, so you are set to go.
If you want to watch the Tour de France in French language:
- Sign up for the best European VPN – the recommended VPN for Europe is ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the client app after you receive your email.
- Change the app to a VPN server located in France.
- Navigate to sport.francetvinfo.fr on before the days cycling and join the live streaming of the days stage.
Viewers in the United States can access the Tour de France on NBC Sports. This however needs a TV providers login details. This will be either DirecTV or Sling TV to watch live streams. If you are a cord cutter, you can sign up for Sling TV directly.
Signing up to the recommended VPN service and connecting through the ITV Hub is still the best recommendation so you can start watching Tour de France without any hassle.
Canadian viewers can only gain access through a subscription to Sportsnet. This needs a Canadian credit card to sign up with. It is easier to use a VPN and watch the cycling via the UK’s ITV streaming service.
For any country around the world, using the recommended VPN, you can watch ITV from anywhere. With full coverage of the entire Tour de France, it makes sense to use this free service.
Everything You Need to Know About Le Tour de France
The Tour de France 2019 is the 106th event since it was first staged. This year it begins in Belgium as a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the great Eddy Merckx’s five triumphs. 21 stages weave their way across France to tackle the Pyrenees Mountains.
There are twenty-two teams, and each of these has eight riders each. Here are some of the teams that are attending this year.
- World Tour Teams: AG2R La Mondiale, Astana Pro team, Bahrain Merida, CCC Team, Diemnesion Data, Moviestar Team, Team Ineos, Team Sunweb and others.
- Procontinental Teams: Wanty-Gobert, Direct Energie, Arkea Samsic and Confidis, Solution Credits.
All the stages cover various regions in France. These are not the same for every days riding and are broke into different kinds of stages.
- Prologue: This is a time trail for each rider who races against the clock. These are usually less than 6 miles in length.
- Flat: This doesn’t mean the roads are flat. Large packs of riders who are all riding together for around 125 miles. There are often a couple of different conclusions to these stages. A breakaway win by a small group or individual, or there is a mass spring by the leaders.
- Mountain: These cover all shapes and sizes and range from sea level up to around 2,000 meters in altitude. These can happen more than once in a day.
- Time Trial: These are similar to the Prologue, but longer, and can be around 100-125 miles. Riders can tackle them as a team or as individuals.
As you can see from the following schedule, it is a grueling race and there is only one rest day after the first ten stages, and a second after the second week.
|Date||Distance/ km||Stage Type||Start Point||Finish Line|
|July 6||192 Km||Flat||Bruxelles||Bruxelles|
|July 7||27 km||Team Time-Trial||Bruxelles Palais Royal||Brussel Atomium|
|July 8||214 km||Hilly||Binche||Épernay|
|July 9||215 km||Flat||Reims||Nancy|
|July 10||169 km||Hilly||Saint-Dié-des-Vosges||Colmar|
|July 11||157 km||Mountain||Mulhouse||La Planche des Belles Filles|
|July 12||230 km||Flat||Belfort||Chalon-sur-Saône|
|July 13||199 km||Hilly||Mâcon||Saint-Étienne|
|July 14||170 km||Hilly||Saint-Étienne||Brioude|
|July 15||218 km||Flat||Saint-Flour||Albi|
|July 16||First Rest Day|
|July 17||167 km||Flat||Albi||Toulouse|
|July 18||202 km||Mountain||Toulouse||Bagnères-de-Bigorre|
|July 19||27 km||Individual time-trial||Pau||Pau|
|July 20||117 km||Mountain||Tarbes||Tourmalet Barèges|
|July 21||185 km||Mountain||Limoux||Foix Prat d’Albis|
|July 22||Second Rest Day|
|July 23||177 km||Flat||Nîmes||Nîmes|
|July 24||206 km||Hilly||Pont du Garp||Gap|
|July 25||207 km||Mountain||Embrun||Valloire|
|July 26||123 km||Mountain||Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne||Tignes|
|July 27||131 km||Mountain||Albertville||Val Thorens|
|July 28||127 km||Flat||Rambouillet||Paris|
Every rider yearns to be wearing the yellow colored jersey once the Tour de France comes into its final stages. This means you are the overall leader, and all eyes will be looking that way.
For viewers watching around the world, there can be thrills and spills, and, to not miss a single moment, you do need the best VPN service.
This we showed earlier and it does come with a no argument 30-day money back guarantee. This means you can sign up in the next few days, and use it like a free trial.
Do this, and sign up for the ITV Hub, and you are well on your wat to watch Tour de France free.