Kodi is one of the best media streaming apps you can use. There is a ton of configuration possibilities, and users can download and install third-party Kodi add-ons, which deliver free movies and TV shows.
A lot of this content is protected by copyright, yet this doesn’t prevent developers from creating these add-ons, or users installing them. Every user who uses Kodi will see the continual messages to use a VPN for Kodi to hide their activities.
While there is a gray area for streaming this content and the legality of doing so, it doesn’t prevent the DMCA and government agencies trying to put a ban on Kodi use, or the use of these add-ons.
Special Kodi Offer SAVE 46%
In this step-by-step guide, we will show how to IPVanish on Kodi, so you can stream to your heart’s content and remain safe while doing so.
Why Kodi Users Need a VPN
New users to Kodi may not understand the best Kodi addons that allow streaming of movies and TV shows free may be illegal in some countries.
If you have Kodi and you install any of these add-ons, then you are in effect doing nothing wrong.
A good example of how bad it can be for users is in the UK, where selling a Kodi box pre-installed with add-ons is illegal.
One of the largest issues users face is that their ISP may pass on details of Kodi use to these governing agencies, or they restrict access to your internet connection.
Once users start using a VPN on Kodi, activities are hidden, and users are out of sight.
There is one other significant advantage. These VPN’s allow users to bypass geo-restrictions. Kodi users can select a VPN server from any country where the VPN providers have a presence.
Good examples of this being BBC iPlayer in the UK, Netflix in the USA or CBC and Canadian sports in Canada.
Even with Kodi, these restrictions can occur, and there will be dead streams as a result, or there will be errors.
Why IPVanish for Kodi?
The IPVanish VPN is a crowd favorite because it runs well on plenty of Android box. It delivers good speeds for streaming on Kodi, so there is little chance you will experience buffering.
It has a wealth of security features to keep users safe and secure. The service provider uses 256-bit encryption, and OpenVPN protocols to make sure user data is secure. The server location covers 60 countries and the server’s number over 1,000.
Other features include a kill switch. This means if you lose your VPN connection, your connection is blocked, so your IP address remains private. There is additional DNS leak protection, IP address changes among others.
IPVanish also comes with a 7-day money-back guarantee, and although not a lot, users should see how it performs on Kodi.
Installing IPVanish on Kodi
There are several ways you can setup IPVanish, and this depends on your device. You can install the VPN app separate, or your VPN setup can be done from within Kodi.
This setup guide will show various methods.
Method 1: Install IPVanish on Windows
It is easy to install the app on Windows. You can run IPVanish in the background and stream with Kodi. Here are the simple steps:
- Sign up for a subscription of the VPN from the IPVanish website
- Download and install the IPVanish app on your device
- Open the IPVanish app and login
- Connect to a server location
- Minimize IPVanish to the background and start your Kodi media-streaming app. You can access channels that were previously blocked.
Method 2: Installing IPVanish with Kodi VPN Manager
- Download the Zomboided repository:
- Start Kodi
- Click on ‘Add-ons’
- Select the package installer (open carton icon in the top-left corner)
- Select ‘Install from zip file.”
- Navigate to where you saved the ‘Zomboided Repository zip.’ Select it to open
- Click ‘Install from repository.’
- Click ‘Install from repository’ and click ‘Zomboided Add-on Repository ‘ then ‘Services’ and finally click ‘VPN Manager for OpenVPN’ and Install
- Click ‘VPN manager’ in Program Add-ons then go to ‘Settings.’
- You can now use your IPVanish Kodi addon
Using IPVanish with Kodi
Here are the steps to use IPVanish with Kodi and select servers.
- Login to IPVanish. Head to VPN Manager – Settings
- Enter your username and password
- Select the VPN Connections tab and click ‘First VPN connection.’
- VPN manager checks your credentials
- Select a server location. This changes depending on channels you want to access
- You should be up and running with this new location
Logging Out or Disconnecting IPVanish in Kodi
- Navigate to the VPN Manager home screen
- Click ‘Change or disconnect VPN connection.’
- Click ‘Disconnect’ to logout
Special Kodi Offer SAVE 46%
Installing IPVanish on Amazon Streaming Devices
When you start looking at other devices, you wish to use Kodi on. Some of the apps may not be verified, and are not found in the Amazon store, so it appears you can’t install on your Amazon FireStick, or use the Amazon FireVPN service on other Fire devices.
Luckily, you can side-load these easily. Here is how to install IPVanish with Kodi via the Amazon app store.
- Register for your IPVanish account
- Start your device
- Hover above the search icon with the remote on your FireTV, FireStick, and Fire Cube. Type to enter and search for ‘IPVanish.’
- Select and download IPVanish when it shows
- Click on the ‘Download’ button.
- Click ‘Open’ and start the IPVanish Kodi VPN app.
- Add your username and password. Click on ‘Login’
- Select the ‘Connect’ button
- If you get a VPN connection request, click OK
- Just click ‘Disconnect’ if you wish to stop the service
Installing IPVanish on Android
The IPVanish Android installation guides can be very similar for any Android TV box, or device. However, most of the things you need you can get from the Google Play store.
This Kodi guide is suitable for devices such as the Nvidia Shield, and the only major difference being how you access the Play Store.
Install IPVanish on Android Devices and Android TV Box
- Register for your IPVanish account
- Create a ‘Google Account’ if you don’t have one. This enables you to download from the Google Store and install IPVanish on Kodi.
- Open Google Play Store on your Android device and search for IPVanish. Install VPN app like any other APK file.
- Open IPVanish and sign in
- Configure IPVanish Kodi VPN before starting your Kodi app
- Click the Connect button once you have configured your VPN
- Start or install Kodi
Is a Free VPN for Kodi a Good Option?
Users may think a free VPN is as good of an option as paying to install IPVanish. In reality, this isn’t a good option because these free services need to make money.
The most common way is they sell your data to other parties who use it for bombarding you with targeted ads.
Either that or they use them to add malware to your device. All users of Kodi are advised to install a VPN for a good reason. There is no knowing what a Kodi addon is going to do. It can send data of location to anyone.
Free VPN’s can see this and use it to their advantage. You, unfortunately, do get what you pay for. Free options also offer slower speeds and limited data.
You will find that loading IPVanish on Kodi offers unlimited bandwidth in comparison to a few gigabytes of data per month.
IPVanish is seen as one of the best VPN’s for use with Kodi. However, others could quite easily replace it in this setup guide.
You find that many VPNs come in tiers. There are others, which are the bottom end of the market, and try to entice users with false promises. There is then an abundance of VPN’s in the middle to lower upper tiers of VPN services.
These begin to become premium VPN’s that deliver the best performance for Kodi or any other activity.
The main thing is to be sure your IP address is hidden, and no one can see you streaming with Kodi, or from any other free movie website.
With all this information, you can understand more about if IPVanish is the best Kodi VPN, or is that still out there?
Use the refund window wisely because you have one week. You can then check out a premium Kodi VPN with a 30-day refund window as a comparison.