Kodi is a great media player that is famous around the globe for its ability to use third-party add-ons. However, over time, you can find its stops performing as it used to.
You may even receive messages stating the fact, or each time you start Kodi, you can see update messages sitting on your screen.
In most cases, these errors and messages are not Kodi itself, but they can be any of the Kodi add-ons you have installed. Besides, you can have a Kodi build installed, and you wish to get rid of that.
While Kodi for beginners is straightforward, you may not be sure how to remove add-ons from Kodi to help improve performance of the app and the streams.
Here, you can learn all you need to know about how to uninstall the best Kodi add-ons that no longer work. You can find the builds and the best Kodi skins you need to delete, and precautions by using the best VPN’s for use with Kodi.
Top Reasons for Deleting Kodi Add-Ons
Two of the most common reasons to delete Kodi add-ons is the add-ons continually try to update yet they can’t.
You find the reason for this is the developer has changed the repository where the add-on is located. A good example being the Exodus repo that stopped working because it was renamed to Exodus Redux repo.
The second reason being, Kodi is in use on lots of Kodi boxes such as Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. Such devices have limited storage capacity, and with too many add-ons installed, they can soon run slowly.
Uninstalling Kodi add-ons from an Amazon Fire device is a great way to improve performance while getting some space back.
Deleting Kodi Add-ons
Here are the steps how to delete add-ons on Kodi for the latest version. Once you start Kodi, remove add-on, and then re-boot, you will find it runs much quicker and without errors.
- Start Kodi
- On the main menu, click add-ons
- Select ‘My add-ons’
- Select ‘All’ (This shows all the installed add-ons)
- Scroll down until you spot any specific unwanted Kodi add-ons
- Right-click on the add-on and select ‘Information’
- Click ‘Uninstall’
- Once the add-on finishes uninstalling, navigate back to the main menu. Select the gear icon
- Click on ‘Media settings’
- Move the cursor above ‘General’ to the left of your screen
- On the right, make sure the slider is on, (enabled) to ‘show hidden files and directories’
- Navigate back to the main menu. Select the gear icon again
- Select ‘File manager’
- Select ‘Profile directory’
- Click ‘add-on_data’
- Scroll down, and you will come to the folder for the deleted add-on. For the most, its name will be something such as ‘plugin.video.name-of-add-on’
- Right-click to select add-on then click on delete
- You will see a warning box saying you are about to delete all that is in the folder.
- Click yes to proceed with deleting the add-on
Delete Kodi Add-Ons on FireStick
Here are the simple steps to uninstall unwanted Kodi add-ons on your Fire Stick to fix problems or regain some much-needed disk space.
- Go to Kodi main screen. Navigate to System then Install from zip.
- Head to My Add-ons.
- Click on Video Add-ons.
- Select add-ons you wish to delete (you need to do it one-by-one)
- Click Uninstall to remove it (you can also disable, but it won’t make any space)
- Click ‘Yes’ to continue.
- The add-on will be deleted
What are Kodi Builds?
Kodi builds are an all in one installation, which comes packed with a group of popular add-ons, Kodi skins and much more, and all that you don’t need to install manually.
The issue with builds is that deleting and reinstalling Kodi makes no difference, and you’ll find Kodi boots back to how it was. In addition, some builds don’t work with versions before Kodi Leia.
How to Remove Kodi Builds
Here are the easy to follow steps to uninstall a build and uninstall Kodi add-ons that are part of that build. It will also reset Kodi to the default state
Before starting, check if you have the fusion repo installed. It was shut down, yet resurfaced with fewer features. If you don’t have it in your build, install it, and then you are good to go.
- With Fusion installed, navigate to System – Settings – Add-ons. Select Install from zip. (You should see Fusion if you have it installed. Select it)
- Select ‘Start-here.’ Go to plugin.video.freshstart-X.X.X.zip. (x.x.x signifies the newest zip file)
- After installation, navigate to the home screen. Go to Program – Add-ons – Fresh Start.
- Click OK. You will receive a prompt to restart Kodi. Once Kodi restarts, you’ll see its back at factory settings.
Note this method will uninstall add-ons that came with the build and any others you manually install.
Why Use a VPN With Kodi?
If you are new and it is your first time to install Kodi, you need to take precautions. The reason you need to use the best VPN’s for Kodi is that its use is continually under scrutiny on the internet.
Many individuals may ask, is using Kodi illegal? Before you rush off and uninstall Kodi, its use isn’t illegal in any way.
However, there is a gray area over the use of third-party add-ons that stream copyright-protected content. Hence the reason to use VPN’s for Kodi. You can quickly mask your connection and hide your IP address with a VPN.
By doing so, not even, your ISP can see what video content you are accessing. To get the best Kodi experience, you can use the world’s best streaming VPN (ExpressVPN).
To test all the features and buffer-free streaming, you have a chance to use the 30-day money-back guarantee they offer. You will soon see it is the best VPN to keep you safe and you don’t need to find out how to uninstall Kodi from your device.